Saturday, October 4, 2014

the empty plate

So, I'm currently in Houston with a good friend of mine, visiting my sister in her recently renovated masterpiece, and while before we arrived all I could think about was designer wedding gowns (we're doing a few much anticipated bridal store visits while I'm here) and cocktails on classy Houston Heights patios, right now the only thing on my mind is, nice work, Mom and Dad.  Kelsey's house is fabulous, and I do mean that in the most glamorous way.  It's the details, folks, the details!  The glass knobs and chrome plates on every door (not to mention the doors themselves!), the custom beadboard paneling the fridge, the eighteen different lighting options for each room, the custom hardware, the perfectly aligned stepping stones to the back gate.  Incredible. 

And everything fits.  There's no sign of afterthought, no lack of attention leading to a fridge sitting out of place at the end of a counter, no awkwardly large gaps between a bathroom vanity and shower stall.  It truly is perfect.

It's so easy to feel underwater in the middle of a renovation.  The details, when tossed and tumbled into some vague ball of yarn are hard to untangle, hard to see, and with time start to weigh on your vision, trapping you into each moment, rendering you unable or maybe just unwilling to think about the final product, to even consider the work you have left. 

Dad has always said that renovation is like eating an elephant - one bite at a time.  And while I do agree...for a dreamer, sometimes it's nice to see an empty plate. 

So, again...NICE WORK MOM AND DAD!   I never thought I'd say this, but I can't wait to get home and get back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment